Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Wakame Seaweed Salad

Eversince I lived here in the US, one of the foods I've been missing from the Philippines is seaweed. It is one of my favorite foods especially when eating seafoods. It is a very good appetizer or salad. I've missed eating "lato", a green seaweed with watery leaves like bubbles; and, "guso", an almost brownish or greenish,stem-like, jellyish,crunchy seaweed. Guso is my ever fave because I like the texture and the crunchiness even after it's soaked in vinegar.

So anyway, being here in New Mexico deprives me of having fresh seafoods and seaweeds. What can you expect in a semi-desert place, lol! If I would have known, lol. I should have researched well before coming here. But anyway, though not so fresh we still get some pretty good quality seafoods here, when I go to the Asian stores though at an expensive price (well, I guess, it's better than nothing). I kept looking for seaweeds here but I couldn't find any. one of my Filipina friends did say that she finds some at the Asian store but I guess I'm not lucky enough to get hold of it. But one time when we were eating at a Japanese resto found this Seaweed salad,"Wakame", so I tried to order it and soon enough it became one of my fave seaweed salad. I have to order it every time we eat at that resto. For now, I'm still always checking at the Asian store if they have wakame so I can make it on my own rather than ordering a ready-made seaweed salad all the time. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and find one.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheesecake Cupcake with Cherry Toppings