Friday, May 13, 2011

SIOMAI OR STEAMED PORK DUMPLINGS

Siomai is a steamed dumpling filled with either ground pork, ground beef, or shrimp and wrapped in wonton wrapper. In the Philippines, it usually dipped in soy sauce with calamansi or calamondin with oily garlicky or ginger flavor.

I love siomai. It is one of my favorite appetizers. I never get tired of eating it. When I came here in the US, this is one of the foods that I missed from the Philippines. So I researched on some recipes and get some ideas how it was made. I vary the ingredients according to my taste.

Most recipes use sesame oil to be mix in the filling, but since I'm not such a fan for sesame oil, I omitted it. But if you like it, you can add it to the ingredients.




INGREDIENTS:
1/2 kilo ground pork with a little fat
1/4 kilo shrimp, chopped finely
1/2 cup grated carrots
2 tbsps green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. Vetsin(optional)
2 tbsps. Soy sauce
1 raw egg
2 tbsps. Cornstarch

30-40 pcs wonton wrappers

PROCEDURE:
Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl, except the wrappers. I usually use my hands(cleaned) to mix everything well.

Start wrapping: Put one tablespoon of the filling on the wonton wrapper. leave the top open. Just fold and crease the sides.

Meanwhile, prepare your steamer. Let the water boil in the steamer. Once it boils, brush it with a little oil. Then put the dumplings on it.

Let it stand for 30-40 minutes.

Serve with soy sauce and calamansi with a little sesame oil if you prefer.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the siomai recipe this is my favorite, but I don't know how to make, now I have the recipe...thanks for posting this it will really help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Cheesecake Cupcake with Cherry Toppings