Friday, May 6, 2011

A Great Dinner of Roast Beef, Mashed Potato and Asparagus





It was a busy day for me today. i had to do a lot of laundry, clean up the house, and plant the flowers that I bought yesterday. Eventhough my hands were also full with my daughter who was a little cranky today and my son who wanted me to play with him, I still managed to cook. I wanted to cook a great dinner for my husband. So I started cooking at about 4 pm. Started with the roast beef because it will take a long time to cook. And started peeling the potatoes for the mashed potato. In between, I have to attend to my daughter who was screaming needing attention and reprimanding my son once in awhile who was doing some silly stuff, LOL!( I love them both anyway, haha) And oh also checking my laundry. Multi-tasking Mom, huh?hahaha. But at about past five, I got a text from my husband telling me not to cook and that he won't eat dinner because they had a meeting at work and there were food. Greaaaaat! I told my husband, it would have helped if he texted me earlier and I wouldn't have to work my butt off cooking, pardon my French, LOL! So he said, sorry he was busy at work and forgot to text early and that he will just eat a little of my food when he get home. That's how sweet my hubby is, haha, or maybe he just doesn't want to get in trouble with me, LOL! Anyway, at that time he still didn't know what I cooked.

When he got home, he asked me what I cooked. I told him I made some
roast beef, mashed potato and some asparagus. I asked him again if he wants to eat, he said yes and to give him just half of his regular portion. So I served him and in five minutes he was done. I asked him if he wants some more, he said he was already full, but after a couple of minutes, he stood up and said,"Hmmm, maybe just a little more!"hahaha. Oh well, I guess that says it all, I guess he loves my cooking, hahaha. I'm not just guessing, he said so himself, LOL!

Anyway, it was a great dinner. The roast beef came out very good, soft and seasoned well. The mashed potato was creamy and good, too. My husband loved the asparagus and even my son tried it, too. It came out well seasoned and still crunchy which I like.

Here's how I made the asparagus:
Bend the asparagus stalk at the base and discard the hard part. You just need the soft upper part. You will know which one is the hard part because when you bend it it will just snap by itself.

Wash it very well after.

Mince about three garlic cloves.

Heat skillet and put about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, canola or vegetable oil. Once the oil is heated, put the garlic and saute it until it turns golden brown.

Then put the washed asparagus stalks. Saute for awhile. Then season it with a half teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of white sugar. mix well. Add half a cup of water.

Cover it and simmer for awhile, about five minutes or until the asparagus stalks are tender but not overly soft because you want it to be crunchy still.

Serve as side dish for your meat and mashed potato.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheesecake Cupcake with Cherry Toppings