Tuesday, March 29, 2011

CLASSIC YEMA or MILK CANDY

 I was craving Yema these past few days. I remember when I
was in elementary and high school, I used to buy Yema from my
classmates. It is so addictive. You can't stop eating it. I don't know what makes it so addictive, must be the milk. My classmates sell it for .50 cents before, ha ha, now I don't know how much one cost. I remember using my whole allowance to buy it. Anyway, that's enough reminiscing, ha ha. So going back to my craving, since I don't know how to make it, I asked my cousin how to make it. She told me the procedure how to do it
 and I made it yesterday. I'm so glad it came out really
good and perfect. Not too hard and not too soft either, just perfect. My son and hubby can't stop eating it. So my craving was satisfied.

Anyway for those who don't know what Yema is, it is a sweet
concoction made of milk and sugar, which is from the classic recipe. But nowadays, yema has already evolved and more ingredients are added. But I still like the classic recipe, which I will be sharing now with you. It is not so complicated to make. It is very easy, and does not need a lot of ingredients. The closest taste you can compare it with are caramel candies. Though, I guess here in the US these are really called caramel candies. The slight difference will be the kind of milk being used. And these are not so dense and as hard as caramels. So for those who are yema lovers, here is a recipe for you. Please leave a comment if you like it. Thanks!




INGREDIENTS:

1 can condensed milk
2 tbsp cooking oil (or butter if you prefer)
peanuts or any kind of nut
White sugar
Small paper cups

PROCEDURE:

Heat pan and put the oil on medium heat.
Once the oil is heated, pour the condensed milk.

Stir the milk to mix with the oil very well.
Keep stirring to avoid scorching.

Continue stirring until the mixture gets a little sticky, but not very sticky or it will harden. Just enough consistency, and then turn off the stove.

Let it cool down for about 10 minutes or so.
Once it cools down, you can start making the yema.

In a plate put the white sugar.
Get a spoonful of the milk mixture, then put a whole peanut kernel in the middle and then roll it into a ball.

Next, roll the yema ball on white sugar and coat it.
Lastly, put it inside the paper cups if you have any or in a clean, tight container.

TIPS:
Some people doesn't use oil in making this, but in this recipe it uses oil, and it helps make the yema soft, just as long as you don't overcook it. Butter can be used, too, and it makes it creamier and buttery in flavor.

The whole peanut kernel can be substituted with ground peanuts. If you don't like a whole peanut then ground peanuts will do well, too. Or if you don't like peanuts on it, then you can also omit it from the ingredients.


1 comment:

  1. nice, am going to make this tomorrow. -Dean-

    ReplyDelete

Cheesecake Cupcake with Cherry Toppings