Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pinsec Frito or Fried Wonton


I remember when I was in high school in the Philippines, that whenever I don't have a class, I stayed at my cousin's boarding house. And sometimes my cousin, Ramel, will treat me and some of his friends to eat pinsec and pizza. The first time I had the pinsec, I already loved the taste especially when you dip it into a sweet and sour sauce. It almost has the same taste as lumpia or egg rolls (if you make the same filling and just wrap it like a lumpia), although the way you wrap the filling is different. Pinsec is wrapped in a small square sized wrapper and will look like a triangle shape after it's done.

So when I came here in the US, I missed eating pinsec, so I tried to look around for some recipes and then vary the ingredients according to my taste. Here is my recipe for pinsec:

Ingredients:

1/2 kilo ground pork
10 large pcs of shrimp, chopped finely
1/2 cup grated carrots
1 tbsp chopped spring onions
1/2 tsp salt
1 raw egg
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp vetsin or MSG
30-40 pcs wonton wrappers

PROCEDURE:
  • Mix together all the ingredients. It is better to mix it with your hands so all the ingredients will blend well. ( Try to taste it with the tip of your tongue. You can add more salt or soy sauce according to your taste)
  • Once the mixture is blended well, you can start wrapping the mixture into the siomai wrappers. (In my case, I usually let the mixture stand for at least 1-2 hours before wrapping, so all the seasonings will settle and blend well with the ground pork. But if you are in a hurry, you can wrap it right away.)
  • When you're done wrapping, prepare a deep fryer, or if you don't have one, you can use a deep frying pan. Pour oil in it, be sure to put enough oil for deep frying and let the oil heat up. Once the oil is heated, drop the pinsec one by one in the hot oil.
  • Fry until crispy and golden brown. (TIP: once the pinsec starts floating then it's cooked.)
  • Serve with sweet and sour sauce.

                                                         

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Cheesecake Cupcake with Cherry Toppings